With Easter just around the corner, it can be quite difficult to find a treat for your Easter long weekend. Keep your eating plan on track with these sugar free paleo hot cross buns. For a sweetened version of this recipe, visit the link at the bottom. Put the protein shake down and enjoy these in moderation. Happy Easter!
Paleo Chocolate Choc Chip Hot Cross Buns
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15-17 mins
1 cup coconut millk
1/3 cup + 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
3 Tablespoons cacao powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
1/4 cup cacao nibs
2 egg whites 1+1/
2 tablespoons coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius (340F)
- Grease 8 muffin tins with coconut oil
- Beat the eggs with an electric beater for 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk and beat again.
- Add the coconut flour, bicarb soda and cacao powder and mix with the electric beaters for another minute.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins.
- Make crosses by beating the egg whites with electric beaters. Add the coconut flour and beat again.
- Scoop egg mixture into a plastic bag, snip off the corner and pipe onto the top of buns.
- Bake buns for 15-17 minutes.
Chefs tip: turn the oven off at 15 minutes and leave buns in the oven for a couple of minutes to finish cooking.
Recipe courtesy of anaussiewithchrons.com. For a sweetened version using only natural sweeteners visit http://www.anaussiewithcrohns.com/2014/04/chocolate-hot-cross-buns-paleo.html?m=1