This chocolate almond cake tastes too good to be completely health concious. So delicious, that even the most seasoned junk food connoisseur would struggle to comprehend that it is made up entirely of wholesome ingredients. Whip up this flourless, gluten free version of chocolate cake without telling people, and see if they can tell the difference!
Almond Flour Chocolate Cake
- 1 teaspoon melted butter for pan
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon himalayan sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C/350 degrees F. Line a 9-inch glass pie plate with a circle of parchment paper. Grease the pan well.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey and vanilla extract.
- Gradually whisk in the almond flour and cocoa powder.
- Finally, whisk in the salt and baking soda. Batter will be fairly thin.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 30 minutes. Loosely cover with foil to prevent over-browning, then continue baking for 10 more minutes, until set and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on a cooling rack until it reaches room temperature, about 30 minutes, then slice and serve. Keep leftover covered in fridge for up to a week.
Recipe courtesy of healthyrecipesblog.com
Super Chocolate Frosting
This chocolate frosting is the ultimate icing on the cake. Made with a superstar studded lineup of superfood ingredients, it’s makes for the perfect topping for a healthy chocolate treat or eat it on it’s own with a spon.
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 Tbs pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- Melt coconut oil if in a solidified state.
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and enjoy! It’s that simple.
* Note: Butter may be substituted for coconut oil. Aim for organic. Depending on room temperature, cocoa powder may required stiffness to the frosting in order to hold its shape on top of cake. Recipe courtesy of ourheritageofhealth.com